An official website of the United States Government 
Here's how you know

Official websites use .gov

.gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Face of Defense: Shooting Victim Seeks to Inspire Others

You have accessed part of a historical collection on Some of the information contained within may be outdated and links may not function. Please contact the DOD Webmaster with any questions.

An Army officer who was severely wounded in a shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, last year is using his near-death experience to give others a new lease on life.

“I believe I was given a second chance,” said 1st Lt. John Arroyo, who is recovering at Brooke Army Medical Center here. “I hope my story inspires others to realize that it’s never too late to make a change or to make a difference.”

Arroyo had three deployments under his belt when he arrived at Fort Hood in November 2013. The California native had enlisted in 1998 as a truck driver, but jumped at the opportunity to earn a Green Beret just a few years later. After a dozen years in Special Forces, Arroyo was commissioned and selected for the Medical Service Corps.

Shots Fired at Fort Hood

He was assigned to the 1st Medical Brigade at Fort Hood as a platoon leader. On April 2, 2014, Arroyo was pulling into ther brigade headquarters parking lot when he heard shots fired. He had just stepped out of his car as another car parked close by. He had no idea the driver was Army Spc. Ivan Lopez, who was just minutes into a shooting spree across post.

Lopez already had shot and killed two soldiers and wounded more than a dozen others in another building by the time he pulled into the brigade parking lot.

The next shot Arroyo heard was the one that ripped through his throat. Gasping for breath, Arroyo stumbled back to his car and fell to the ground. He lay there, bleeding profusely, and struggling to breathe.

“I thought, ‘Is this it? Am I going to die?’ he recalled. “But then I heard a voice telling me to get up -- to hurry and get up.”

Close Encounter With Shooter

With his wife and three children in mind, Arroyo drew on his last reserves of strength to stand up and find help. He held his throat to stanch the bleeding and stumbled toward a man. He suddenly realized he was about to seek aid from the shooter. “I was within 10 feet of him, but he never saw me,” he said. “He walked right past me into the building and started shooting again.”

A few soldiers spotted Arroyo from across the parking lot. They called out: “Soldier, are you OK?” He was somehow able to answer: “I’ve been shot.” With no time to spare, they raced Arroyo to Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center. Meanwhile, the shooter was confronted seconds later by a military police officer. She fired a shot at him, and he responded by committing suicide. Four soldiers, including Lopez, were killed and 16 others were wounded that day.

Critically injured, Arroyo was rushed to surgery and transferred to Scott and White Memorial Hospital for further care. He was told his voice box and right arm were damaged beyond repair. Yet, two months later, he was talking again and, after months of intense rehabilitation at the Center for the Intrepid here, has regained the use of his right hand.

His swift recovery wasn’t surprising, he said.

“I was given a second chance by God,” he added. “I should have died in the parking lot that day. I believe I am here for a purpose and will continue to heal.”

Sharing His Story to Help Others

Hoping to inspire others, Arroyo said, he began sharing his story with everyone from inmates to students to fellow patients and service members. “I want everyone to realize that if they’re breathing, they have the opportunity for a second chance,” he explained.

Arroyo returned to Fort Hood last month to speak at the hospital’s Holiday Ball and to thank the staff for saving his life. One of the nurses was in tears after Arroyo told her another soldier who had been shot in the spinal cord was walking again, thanks in part to her care.

“I went back to the spot where I was shot,” he said. “And I wasn’t upset at what had happened. I felt grateful that I was given a second chance to make a difference.

“I don’t focus on tomorrow -- I finish today,” he added. “And I plan to make each day count for something.”

Related Stories