How can I get a death certificate for someone killed in Iraq or Afghanistan?

Published: 03/06/19 | Updated: 03/18/19

If you are asking because you have lost a loved one, please accept our deep and sincere condolences. We hope that the following information may prove helpful.

The Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner issues death certificates. Family members of military personnel may go through their service member's chain of command to obtain a certificate. Survivors of contractors who are killed supporting the fight against the global war on terrorism may go to the contractor personnel office. There is a waiting period because officials want to be absolutely sure that the remains are properly identified.