How can I locate a service member or veteran? How can I contact a service member in case of emergency?

Published: 03/13/19 | Updated: 03/14/19

Responsibility for military personnel records falls within the jurisdiction of the military departments, not the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

Requests for military addresses should be sent to the respective service of the individual whose address is being sought.  Military regulations and the Privacy Act of 1974 do not permit the military departments to provide home addresses or telephone numbers of service personnel.  Moreover, regulations do not permit random dissemination of listings of names and addresses of service personnel.  

Please visit the following link for information on locating service members (in both emergency and non-emergency situations) and veterans, as well as military units and facilities:

To locate Americans abroad in event of an emergency, please contact the Department of State:

From the U.S. & Canada:  1-888-407-4747

From Overseas: +1 202-501-4444