United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

DoD News

Bookmark and Share

 News Article

U.S. Command Launches Probe Into Afghan Civilian Deaths

From a U.S. Forces Afghanistan News Release

KABUL, Afghanistan, May 20, 2010 – U.S. Forces Afghanistan officials have launched a criminal investigation into allegations that a small number of U.S. soldiers were responsible for the unlawful deaths of as many as three Afghan civilians.

The investigations also include allegations of illegal drug use, assault and conspiracy, officials said.

No charges have been preferred yet, officials said, but one soldier has been placed in pre-trial confinement.

The Army's Criminal Investigation Command initiated its investigation after receiving credible information from the soldiers' unit earlier this month, according to a written statement command officials released today.

Command officials are “committed to the security and safety of the Afghan population, and will ensure any crimes are investigated fully and those responsible will be held accountable,” the statement said.

 

Contact Author

Related Sites:
U.S. Forces Afghanistan


Comments

Article is closed to new comments.

The opinions expressed in the following comments do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Department of Defense.

There are no comments.

Additional Links

Stay Connected