Help Center Listing

You have questions, we have answers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in our FAQ section below, use our online submission form.

All retired military members are permitted to use their military titles socially and in connection with commercial enterprises. Such military titles must never be used in any manner which may bring discredit to the uniformed services.

The use of military titles is prohibited in connection with commercial enterprises when such use, with or without the intent to mislead, gives rise to any appearance of sponsorship or approval by the uniformed services or the Department of Defense.

Military titles will not be a part of the signature block of a retired service member when signing official correspondence as a civil service employee.

Retirees not on active duty will not use their military titles in connection with public appearances outside the United States unless such use is authorized by the appropriate overseas commander.

When military titles are used by members to sign their names to documents that pertain to them personally, they must show that they are in a retired status after the grade. Social and business calling cards must reflect the retired status.

In a military office, retirees using military titles on the telephone could lead to confusion and unwitting misrepresentation, conveying the impression of active-duty status. In any case, common sense is the guide when a retired service member works for the Government. No reasonable retired officer would invite awkwardness when employed in a military office by insisting on being called by a military title if such title outranks the retired service member's active-duty chief.

The retired service member's use of his rightful title in government employment is guided by his acceptance of his civilian status and loyal conformance to the established channels of command. Local customs, practices and conditions of employment are the primary influencing factors.

View More

The process for requesting replacement military medals varies depending on the service branch and when the veteran served. The National Personnel Records Center's website provides helpful information on submitting requests for the replacement of lost military service medals, decorations, and awards.

View More

Please accept our condolences. The VA offers many benefits to offset the cost of burial. The VA website has information on eligibility and how to apply.

Other information regarding VA burial benefits such as flags, headstones and markers is provided by the National Cemetery Administration.

View More

Please accept our condolences on the loss of your loved one. Rendering military funeral honors is one way to show the deep gratitude to those who, in times of war and peace, have faithfully defended our country. This ceremonial paying of respect is the final demonstration a grateful Nation can provide and it is our commitment to recognize the sacrifice and contributions of our Nation's veterans. By law, an honor guard detail for the burial of an eligible veteran consists of at least two members of the U.S. Armed Forces, and at least one member of the detail must be a representative from the deceased veteran's service branch. The honor detail performs a ceremony that includes the playing of taps and the folding and presentation of the American flag to the next of kin. Your funeral director can help you request military funeral honors. 


Link: National Cemetery Administration:

View More

The Office of Survivors Assistance was established by Public Law 110-389, Title II, Section 222, in October 2008, to serve as a resource regarding all benefits and services furnished by the Department to Survivors and Dependents of deceased Veterans and members of the Armed Forces.

View More

Many VSOs advocate for the well-being of the veteran community and will assist with applications for veterans benefits and appeals. The Department of Veterans Affairs maintains a directory of veterans' service organizations on its website at

Some VSOs are additional recognized or approved by the VA Secretary for purposes of preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims under laws administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Individuals seeking such representation should only rely on information found in the VA Office of General Counsel Search for Accredited Attorneys, Claims Agents, or Veterans Service Organizations Representatives. Learn more at

View More

The Department of Veterans Affairs, or VA, has jurisdiction over most veterans' issues and is responsible for programs that support the health and well-being of our Nation's military veterans:

Additional assistance may be found at these VA resources:

  • MyVA411 main information line: 1-800-698-2411
  • VA benefits hotline: 1-800-827-1000
  • GI Bill Hotline: 1-888-442-4551
  • VA Health Benefits Hotline: 877-222-8387
  • My HealtheVet Help Desk: 1-877-327-0022
  • VA Inquiry Routing & Information System:

Veteran Affairs Public Affairs:

View More

Veterans Crisis Line
If you are a Veteran in crisis or are concerned about one, connect with the Veterans Crisis Line to reach caring, qualified responders with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Many of them are Veterans themselves. Call 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1) or text 838255. 

National Suicide Prevention Hotline
Call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) or TTY: 1-800-799-4889. This hotline is a 24-hour, toll-free suicide prevention service available to anyone in a suicidal crisis. You will be routed to the closest possible crisis center in your area. Your call is free and confidential. 

View More