An official website of the United States Government 
Here's how you know

Official websites use .gov

.gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Help Center Listing

You have questions, we have answers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in our FAQ section below, use our online submission form.

The process for requesting replacement military medals varies depending on the service branch and when the veteran served. The National Personnel Records Center's website provides helpful information on submitting requests for the replacement of lost military service medals, decorations, and awards.

View More

Please accept our condolences. The VA offers many benefits to offset the cost of burial. The VA website has information on eligibility and how to apply.

Other information regarding VA burial benefits such as flags, headstones and markers is provided by the National Cemetery Administration.

View More

Please accept our condolences on the loss of your loved one. Rendering military funeral honors is one way to show the deep gratitude to those who, in times of war and peace, have faithfully defended our country. This ceremonial paying of respect is the final demonstration a grateful Nation can provide and it is our commitment to recognize the sacrifice and contributions of our Nation's veterans. By law, an honor guard detail for the burial of an eligible veteran consists of at least two members of the U.S. Armed Forces, and at least one member of the detail must be a representative from the deceased veteran's service branch. The honor detail performs a ceremony that includes the playing of taps and the folding and presentation of the American flag to the next of kin. Your funeral director can help you request military funeral honors. 


Link: National Cemetery Administration:

View More

The Office of Survivors Assistance was established by Public Law 110-389, Title II, Section 222, in October 2008, to serve as a resource regarding all benefits and services furnished by the Department to Survivors and Dependents of deceased Veterans and members of the Armed Forces.

View More

Many VSOs advocate for the well-being of the veteran community and will assist with applications for veterans benefits and appeals. The Department of Veterans Affairs maintains a directory of veterans' service organizations on its website at

Some VSOs are additional recognized or approved by the VA Secretary for purposes of preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims under laws administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Individuals seeking such representation should only rely on information found in the VA Office of General Counsel Search for Accredited Attorneys, Claims Agents, or Veterans Service Organizations Representatives. Learn more at

View More

The Department of Veterans Affairs, or VA, has jurisdiction over most veterans' issues and is responsible for programs that support the health and well-being of our Nation's military veterans:

Additional assistance may be found at these VA resources:

  • MyVA411 main information line: 1-800-698-2411
  • VA benefits hotline: 1-800-827-1000
  • GI Bill Hotline: 1-888-442-4551
  • VA Health Benefits Hotline: 877-222-8387
  • My HealtheVet Help Desk: 1-877-327-0022

Veterans with questions about their health care and benefits (including GI Bill), Contact us online through Ask VA . Questions, updates and documents can be submitted online.

Veterans can also use our chatbot to get information about VA benefits and services. The chatbot won't connect you with a person, but it can show you where to go on to find answers to some common questions.

Learn about our chatbot and ask a question

View More

Veterans Crisis Line
If you are a Veteran in crisis or are concerned about one, connect with the Veterans Crisis Line to reach caring, qualified responders with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Many of them are Veterans themselves. Call 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1) or text 838255. 

National Suicide Prevention Hotline
Call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) or TTY: 1-800-799-4889. This hotline is a 24-hour, toll-free suicide prevention service available to anyone in a suicidal crisis. You will be routed to the closest possible crisis center in your area. Your call is free and confidential. 

View More