An official website of the United States Government 
Here's how you know

Official websites use .gov

.gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Help Center Listing

You have questions, we have answers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in our FAQ section below, use our online submission form.

Tag: military records
Remove filter

The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System, or DEERS, database contains information for each uniformed service member (active duty, retired, or a member of a reserve component), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DOD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DOD (including the patient population serviced through the Military Health Services System), and their eligible family members. DEERS registration is required for TRICARE eligibility and enrollment.

You are responsible for keeping your information current on your record. Active Duty and retired service members are automatically registered in DEERS, but they must take action to register their family members and ensure they are correctly entered into the database. Once registered in DEERS it is important to keep your DEERS records updated when personal eligibility information changes. This includes addresses and family status (marriage, divorce, birth, adoption, etc.). Mistakes in the DEERS database can cause problems with TRICARE claims, so it is critical to maintain your DEERS information. Retail network pharmacies check TRICARE eligibility through DEERS. Prescriptions will be filled only for beneficiaries who are listed as eligible in DEERS.

For more information on updating and correcting your information within DEERS please click on the link below.


View More

Veterans who believe the characterization of their discharge from military service was unjust, erroneous, or warrants an upgrade are encouraged to apply for a discharge upgrade or correction.

All branches of the military consider you to have a strong case for a discharge upgrade if you can show your discharge was connected to any of these categories:

  • Mental health conditions, including posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
  • Sexual assault or harassment during military service
  • Sexual orientation (including discharges under the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy)

The Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs jointly operate an online tool to facilitate your application process.  By answering a series of questions, you will receive customized instructions on how to apply, and to which board to apply, for a discharge upgrade or correction.


If you do not agree with a Service Board for Correction of Military/Naval Records (BCM/NR) decision, and have relevant evidence that was not considered with the previous application, you may submit a new DD Form 149 to your respective BCM/NR and apply for reconsideration of your case.

Service members with a separation date on or after December 20, 2019, who have exhausted all available administrative remedies for a discharge or dismissal characterization upgrade by their Service BCM/NR, may be eligible to apply to the DoD Discharge Appeal Review Board. To learn more about the DARB and how to apply for review, visit the DARB page located on the Air Force Review Board Agency website.

View More

If you believe an error or injustice exists in your military record, you may complete and submit a DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Record, along with sufficient evidence of the probable material error or justice, to your Service Board for Correction of Military/Naval Records (BCM/NR).  A few examples of records that may be corrected include:  administrative information, pay and allowances, decorations and awards, performance evaluations and derogatory information, disabilities, promotions and rank, and separation and discharges*. 

*NOTE: Service members who are seeking a discharge upgrade and have been separated for less than 15 years, must first submit the DD Form 293, Application for the Review of Discharge from the Armed Forces of the Unites States, to their respective Service Discharge Review Board.

When applying to your respective BCM/NR, download and use the most current version of the DD Form 149 located on the Official DoD Website for DoD  Forms:  Both the Army and Air Force offer online application portals and the Navy accepts applications via email. These methods are preferred and will streamline your application process and allow for timelier responses.  You may also mail your completed application and any supporting evidence to the appropriate address on page 3 of the DD Form 149 but be sure to first check the websites below to find the most up-to-date instructions and information for your Service BCM/NR. 

Air Force Review Boards Agency (includes Space Force applicants)

Army Review Boards Agency

Board for Correction of Naval Records (includes Marine Corps applicants)

DHS Office of the General Counsel Board for Correction of Military Records

If you do not agree with a Service BCM/NR decision and have relevant evidence that was not considered with the previous application, you may submit a new DD Form 149 to apply for reconsideration of your case.

For discharge upgrade requests denied by your Service BCM/NR, you may also be eligible to apply to the DoD Discharge Appeal Review Board

View More

The U.S. Armed Forces maintain an Official Military Personnel File, or OMPF, for every veteran and service member. If you are a veteran or a member of the Army, Navy, Marines, or Air Force and are serving as active duty, reserve, or guard, or if you are retired, you can use the Defense Personnel Records Information Retrieval System page on the milConnect website to request and receive scanned copies of documents in your OMPF.

In some cases, OMPF records are not yet scanned into the DPRIS system on milConnect. To determine whether your documents are available online, what to do if they are not, and for many more details about your OMPF documents, visit the DPRIS section of the milConnect frequently asked questions page.

For OMPF records not available in milConnect, military veteran health records, or for records requests from a veteran's next of kin or a member of the public, please visit the National Archives - National Personnel Record Center, Military Personnel Records for assistance:


View More