Patrick B. Nixon, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is director of the Defense Commissary Agency, headquartered at Fort Lee, Va. Mr. Nixon oversees the operations and business processes of an agency that employs more than 18,000 people and includes a headquarters, three regions and more than 260 commissaries located in 14 countries around the world. Commissary annual sales totaled more than $5 billion in fiscal 2005.
Mr. Nixon was appointed as director in June 2006 after more than 40 years of quality retail experience involving every facet of grocery marketing. His appointment constituted conversion of the agency’s directorship from a military general officer billet to that of a career member of the Senior Executive Service.
Mr. Nixon was selected as chief executive officer in June 2001 and assumed additional duties as acting director in August 2004.
1972, Bachelor of Arts degree in philosophy and political theory (cum laude), University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
1978, juris doctor degree, University of Baltimore School of Law, Md.
Graduate studies, European Institute of Public Administration, Brussels, Belgium, and Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
Advanced studies certificates in corporate governance, Tulane University School of Law and Freeman School of Business, New Orleans, La.
Executive study sessions, Brookings Institute, Washington, D.C.
1. 1962-1966, progressive management positions, A&P Food Stores, Detroit
2. 1966-1969, enlisted member, U.S. Marine Corps, with 21-month tour in Vietnam, 1st Marine Division
3. 1969-1982, progressive management positions, A&P Food Stores, Detroit and Washington, D.C.
4. 1983-1984, manager of military’s largest meat production and resale operations, U.S. Army Troop Support
Agency, Fort Bragg, N.C.
5. 1984-1985, management specialist, Troop Support Agency, Northeast Region, Fort Meade, Md.
6. 1985-1986, commissary officer, Fort Devens, Mass.
7. 1986-1987, commissary officer, Fort Meade, Md.
8. 1987-1988, commissary officer, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Md.
9. 1987-1988, developmental assignment, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Department of the
10. 1988-1990, program manager for worldwide commissary/commercial service operations, U.S. Marine Corps,
and U.S. Marine Corps representative, Jones Commission Study of the Military Commissary System, Defense
Commissary Agency Transition Team, Washington, D.C.
11. 1990-1991, chief of plans and operations/senior civilian, Defense Commissary Agency Transition Team, and
director, West Coast Complex, U.S. Marine Corps, Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, Calif.
12. 1991-1993, director, Southwest Region, Defense Commissary Agency, Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, Calif.
13. 1993-1996, director, Northeast Region, Defense Commissary Agency, Fort Meade, Md.
14. 1997-2000, deputy director, European Region, Kapaun Air Station, Germany
15. 2000-2001, director, Eastern Region, Virginia Beach, Va.
16. 2001-2006, chief executive officer, Defense Commissary Agency, Fort Lee, Va.
17. 2004-2006, acting director, Defense Commissary Agency, Fort Lee, Va.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Presidential Rank Award for Meritorious Senior Executives and Professionals
Secretary of Defense Medal for Meritorious Civilian Service
Senior Executive Service Exceptional Performance Award
Defense Commissary Agency’s Distinguished Civilian Service
DeCA Meritorious Civilian Service Award (4)
U.S. Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award
U.S. Army Commanders Award for Civilian Service
Navy Achievement Medal with “V” device for valor
Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry
(Current as of July 2006)